Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Book Review: Gilead

Author: Marilynne Robinson
Publisher: Farrar, Strauss, Giroux, 2004

Gilead: A Novel Beautifully written, I could see why this title won the Pulitzer Prize.

Deals intensely with matters of faith and the heart. At times theologically over my head, but very thought-provoking and insightful.
  The author is in a league of her own.


A few favourite quotes from the book:
So my advice is this—don’t look for proofs. Don’t bother with them at all. They are never sufficient to the question, and they’re always a little impertinent, I think, because they claim for God a place within our conceptual grasp. And they will likely sound wrong to you even if you convince someone else with them.
 Christianity is a life, not a doctrine . . . I'm not saying never doubt or question. The Lord gave you a mind so that you would make honest use of it. I'm saying you must be sure that the doubts and questions are your own.
 Now that I look back, it seems to me that in all that deep darkness a miracle was preparing. So I am right to remember it as a blessed time, and myself as waiting in confidence, even if I had no idea what I was waiting for.
Recommended for lovers of literary and spiritual fiction.
 ___________

Read for the Alphabet Soup Reading Challenge

2 comments:

Susanne Drazic said...

Hi, Susan. Thanks for sharing your review for Gilead.

Deniz Bevan said...

I love this book. And Robinson's got a new one coming out next month!